2017 Homes

Historic places. Southern graces.

Come for the history, stay for the hospitality during the 3rd weekend in March!

Hunter-Hamilton-Coffee-Tipmore House

c. 1895

Open 9 am – 1 pm

This Victorian house was built in 1895 by Charles D. Hunter as his winter residence. Extensive fire in the attic caused him to change the roofline and during the 1920s deteriorating open porches across the front were removed. However, the interior remains basically the same. The home remained in the Hunter/Hamilton family until around 2000 when it was given to the SDCHPS. The dark Eastlake woodwork, mantels and wainscoting are wonderful features of the Victorian style. Be sure to check out the beautiful wood floral molding above the front entrance. The home was last open for Pilgrimage 2002.

 
  Riggs-Morgan-Boyd House

c. 1843

Open 9 am – 1 pm

This raise cottage is one of the oldest standing homes in Selma and was recently purchased by a local business. Unusual features of the building include the stepped parapet brick walls on the side gables and two front entrances. You will enjoy actors who will be portraying notable Selmians who lived through the history this home has seen. Visitors will also like strolling through the garden recently installed by the Boyds. The home was last open for Pilgrimage 1978.

Arsenal Place Accelerator

c. 1869

Open 9 am – 1 pm

This historic home is Selma’s first and only small business and entrepreneurial incubator. It is an excellent case study in the practice of adaptive reuse as this grand, once-private home has been transformed into a vital economic engine. Pilgrims will enjoy meeting the entrepreneurs and sampling their products. This is the first time for it to be on Pilgrimage.

  Hill View House

Open 1 – 5 pm

A combination of Connecticut farmhouse and Southern manor gives this 20th century home an old-world flair that includes a bit of British influence. From an octagonal breakfast room that features river-recovered heart pine to centuries-old antiques, this large family estate reflects the owners’ English heritage (hers) and forest industry background (his). She is also a well-known artist and you will enjoy seeing her beautiful work as well as that of others. This home has never been on Pilgrimage before.

Gillis House

c. 1840

Open 1 – 5 pm

Hand-hewn boards and square nails used in the construction of this house, along with simple Greek key woodwork and jib windows across the front help to date this cottage to around 1840. The house was moved from Washington Street to Heritage Village in 1984. The home was last open for Pilgrimage 2000.

 
  Heritage Village

c. 1843

Open 1 – 5 pm

Heritage Village is the site of several 1800’s structures that were donated to the Selma-Dallas County Historic Preservation Society by private individuals. Included are four relocated historic structures: McKinnon-Riggs doctor’s office, 1830 Calhoun law office, Siegel servant quarters and a historic pigeon cote, as well as displays of 19th century equipment and furnishings.

 

Portis-Hubbard Home

c. 1892

Open 1 -5 pm

This Queen Anne Victorian home with wrap around porch was originally built by Reason H. Lanford. Features include heart pine and oak floors, 12 foot ceilings, restored wood wainscoting, pocket doors, antique light fixtures and a brick patio. The property changed ownership many times during the first 40 years, often in settlement of debts. The Portis sisters, Miss Richard Rivers Portis and Miss Janie Pruitt, acquired the house in 1932 and were the primary occupants for the next fifty years. The house has been home to many families, a boarding house for school teachers and the residence for Emmy-winning actress Jessica Lange while filming Blue Sky in Selma. This home was last open to the public on Pilgrimage 2002.

 
  Hain-Harrelson House

c. 1913

Open 6 – 8 pm, Friday only

Friday evening’s reception from 6-8 pm will be held in Sardis beneath the shelter of ancient oaks and magnolias in the stately and beautifully restored Hain-Harrelson House. One of the state’s finest examples of Neo-Classical Revival architecture, with fascinating features including the massive front columns (brought on the river by boat and then by mule wagons to the site), a rectangular-shaped window made of leaded glass in the “Tree of Life” pattern and the center hall measuring 12′ wide by 54′ long.  All main rooms measure 18′ wide by 21′ deep. The house is constructed almost entirely of heart pine and cypress and the interior walls are sand plaster.  Situated on 13 acres, the home was carefully restored in 1998 by Ken Parker and Cecil Gayle, nephew of Mrs. J. Bruce Hain. You will feel like a visitor to another time period when you tour this magnificent home and enjoy light refreshments. The current owners purchased the home last year–the home was last open for Pilgrimage 2005 when one of the current owners was a tour guide.