Press Photographs

These photographs are the property of Janet Gresham, SDCHPS Photographer, and may only be used to promote Selma Pilgrimage.  All rights are reserved.

Junior Hostesses


Kenan Place

ca. 1826

Open 1-5 pm

The current descendants of the original owners and builders of Kenan’s Mill are also opening the old Kenan Place. One of the oldest homes in Dallas County,  it was built with lumber from the property. Owned by the same family since 1854, the home bears fascinating scars of the Civil War. The beautiful picket-fenced yard is filled with native plants.

Hohenberg-Jones-Hobbs House

ca. 1940

Open 6-8 pm Friday

“The Hill” was designed by the Birmingham architectural firm of Warren, Knight and Davis for Charles (Chuck) and Alice Armstrong Hohenberg and built in 1940 on land belonging to the Armstrong family and given to their daughter Alice.  Here the Hohenbergs raised their three children, Mina, Charles and Alice (Al).  Mr. Hohenberg died in 1984 and Mrs. Hohenberg continued to live in the house until her death in 1996.

The “Big House,” “Little House” and surrounding 20 acres were purchased in 1998 by Larry and Edie Jones who left most of the house true to its original design except for renovating the old kitchen; they enjoyed living in the home until the back portion was destroyed by a fire in January 2003.

The present owners moved into the house in 2008 after restoring the burned areas, adding a new garage and elevator and enclosing with glass the original extensive screened porch.

Many of the big oaks from the original landscape plan still shade the grounds.  Mrs. Hohenberg loved gardening and Mrs. Hobbs has continued her tradition, relocating old shrubs and planting new ones.  The sloping hill in front of the house blooms with daffodils in the spring and spider lilies in fall and the Louisiana iris in the bog along the north side of the drive flourish in May.  Now ginger lilies bloom in late summer along the east side of the drive and scattered throughout the bog.  Mrs. Hobbs renamed the house “LysHill” for her favorite flower, the iris – especially its stylized form the fleur-de-lys.

Sturdivant Hall

ca. 1853

Open 10 am – 4 pm, Fri. & Sat.

Sturdivant Hall has been called “The finest Greek revival neo-classic antebellum mansion in the Southeast”. Established as a museum in 1957, it houses period antique furnishings, porcelain and doll collections, as well as an impressive collection of art by Selma native Clara Weaver Parrish.  This magnificent mansion with its six front columns, is the epitome of the South’s golden age.

There will be 27 Alabama Plein Air Artists “painting the town” during Pilgrimage. These talented individuals will be in the courtyards and gardens of all of the homes and several other venues. Their finished art will be sold at a Wet Paint Sale at the Selma Art Guild Gallery at 508 Selma Avenue on Saturday afternoon from 4:30-6:00 pm.